Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Pistachio Pie/Four Layer Dessert

As a little girl during the holidays one of my favorite memories was waiting for dinner to get over so we could eat one of the many desserts my great grandma had prepared. Specifically pistachio pie! It was a favorite for all and it is still the #1 dessert at all of my maternal family gatherings! Of course this was a much desired recipe passed down from one generation to another. But now, with the Internet, you can find a recipe for just about anything. I found this one to be most commonly called "Four Layer Dessert" where you can use any pudding mixture - chocolate being the most common. However, I still feel that pistachio is the only way to make it and if you haven't tried it - you should :)



Ingredients & Directions:*

1st layer: 2 cups flour, 1 cup butter, 1 cup chopped walnuts. Pat into 9 x 13 inch cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Cool.

2nd layer: 8 ounces cream cheese, 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 cup cool whip. Mix well. Spread on top of crust. Chill. As a child I always thought this was an ice cream layer!


3rd layer: 2 (3.4 ounce) packages pistachio instant pudding (can substitute for other flavors), 2 1/2 cups milk. Beat together until thick. Pour on top of second layer. Chill.


4th layer: Cover surface with 8 ounces cool whip. Sprinkle with chopped walnuts. Chill and serve.

*I generally do 1 1/2 times the amount for the 2nd and 3rd layers. Also, I love saving money but this is one recipe that just doesn’t turn out the same without name brand products (ex: Philadelphia Cream Cheese, Jell-O Pudding, and Cool-Whip).

Think outside of the box!  You can make mini version for gifts or to give to those unable to join you for dinner.  I made this one for a family member who works in emergency services and was assigned to work Thanksgiving Day.  His only request was to make sure someone brought him home some pistachio pie!
 


For these I baked the crust and then crumbled it.  Each cup was then filled with
each layer starting with the crumbled crust.
Great for a grab and go party.

1 comment:

  1. I used to make this when I co-chaired The Junior Woman's Club in Charleston. We did a cookbook every year and it was always requested to be included as one of the showcased items. Always a huge hit! I loved serving it for the Christmas Holidays and would add a light coating of red sugar springles to the top, over the walnuts. The red and green were perfect for the Christmas Holiday Parties and Dinners.

    ReplyDelete