While visiting family near Virginia Beach I wanted to make sure we explored some of the area. We aren't really a "beach" family - at least not in the way that I think most people enjoy the beach. I HATE to sunbath and I can't stand to even be in the sun for long. Especially on a HOT day!
After searching through a few travel sites I ran across a recommendation for Captain Jack's Pirate Ship Adventures. It sounded like something my kiddos would enjoy and I liked the idea of us getting out on a boat that included some entertainment. Here is our experience:
|Waiting for the ship to take off.|
We LOVED how well each of the staff members spoke perfect pirate. We were told that they trained at Disney World.
|On the way out to sea. I LOVED that the "pirate" next to my son yelled out to people in other boats and on shore. it really felt like we were with a group of no-good rotten pirates looking for treasure ;-)|
|Dolphin mom and baby - all part of the adventure of being on the water!|
We did pause the boat for a bit to watch the dolphins. There were a total of 5 in their group.
|Great views of the shoreline!|
|Tons of pirate activities to keep the kids happy!|
|Looks cute but it was hot out and the make-up started smearing. ..|
|Preparing the cannon.|
|A smaller blast was made to experience the sound of a real canon. It was loud!!|
|Preparing to shoot the enemies (with water).|
|Hot potato - with a skull ;-)|
|The bad pirate that had the treasure.|
|Jewels - their own little piece of the treasure after defeating the bad pirate!|
-There is free parking where you can meet up with the shuttle that takes you to the ship. We parked in the wrong spot and paid $10 before we found the right one. The ship parking is part of a hotel. The shuttle staff will give you a parking pass to put in your window before heading to the ship.
-The shuttle staff is also part of the pirate crew. They do a lot to keep you entertained for the short trip.
- The ship was actually a big red metal boat. nothing like a "real" pirate ship. But, they did have it decorated nicely to make up for it.
- There is a restroom on the ship and a lot of space to sit.
-There is a small shop on the ship. You can purchase some food items, beverages, snacks, trinkets, ... My kiddos had hot dogs and drinks. We did buy a few Popsicles to keep cool since it was such a hot day.
- There are cruises offered at night for those that are 21 and above. They apparently offer a more adult themed adventure ;-)
- I did make our reservations online in advance. I'm a planner :-)
- The shuttle will take you back to the parking area - with the same entertainment. The staff will also give you recommendations on places to eat. We ended up eating at the same place a couple of our pirates ate at. Our kiddos were so excited to see them and the staff continued their "pirate" act with out even skipping a beat. They seemed more than happy to do so!
- They will ask for tips at the end of the show. It was well worth tipping them!!!
A little time at the beach!
Would I recommend this pirate adventure? ABSOLUTELY!!!