Friday, December 24, 2010

Butterscotch Cheesecake

I LOVE cheesecake!!  But, I have found that there are so many recipes that just really don't have much flavor and are definitely not worth the extra calories!  This is one that I love!  It has a lot of great flavor and doesn't lose the delicious cheesecake taste that I love!  I noted some optional lower fat options I use since sometimes it does ruin a recipe - in this case mine turned out great!


Ingredients:

1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs*
1/3 cup brown sugar*
1/3 cup butter, melted*
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk (I used fat free)
3/4 cup cold milk (I used fat free)
1 package (3.4 ounces) instant butterscotch pudding mix
3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened (I used the lower fat version)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs, lightly beaten
Whipped cream and crushed butterscotch candies, optional garnish

Special Tools Needed:

9" springform pan (I used a 9 1/2 " pan which just made my pie a little shorter)
Large baking pan that springform pan will fit in

Directions:

Place a greased 9" springform pan on a double thickness of aluminum foil.  Securely wrap foil around pan (but not over edges).  In a small bowl, combine cracker crumbs and sugar; stir in butter.  Press onto the bottom of prepared pan.  Place pan on a baking sheet.  Bake at 325 degrees for 10 minutes.  Cool on a wire rack.

In a small bowl, whisk the milks and pudding mix for 2 minutes.  Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth.  Beat in pudding and vanilla.  Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined.  Pour over crust.  Place springform pan in a large baking pan; add 1" of hat water to larger pan.

Bake at 325 degrees for 75 minutes or until center is almost set and top appears dull.  Remove springform pan from water bath.  Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.

Carefully run a knife around the edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer.  Refrigerate overnight.  Garnish if desired.


*Add additional if you want the crust to cover the sides of the pan.  I did not do that for these pictures but I actually prefer crust on the sides.


No comments:

Post a Comment