Monday, August 23, 2010

White Star Candy



This is a treat that my mother-in-law made and my husband always loved. So, we asked for the recipe to make sure that it was not lost some day when she could no longer make it. I'm not sure why it is called "white star" candy. I'm assuming that the white chocolate that was used came in a star shape (I think I remember seeing something like that before). I have been asked for this recipe many times so it is another reason why I started this blog - an easy way to get it out to people when they ask in the future. This is an easy recipe but there are some mistakes I have made over the years that I am going to share with you.

What you need:

12 oz package of white chocolate (I use Nestle chips)
2 tablespoons peanut butter (do not add more)
1 1/4 cups rice krispies cereal
1 cup salted Spanish peanuts
1 cup mini marshmallows (do not use the colored fruit flavored ones - doesn't taste that good)


*I always make a double batch so you will see that the quantity in my pictures looks like more than what is listed.

What to do:

In a large bowl, melt the white chocolate and peanut butter together. I don't have a double boiler so I use the microwave - heat for one minute, stir, heat for 20 seconds, stir, and repeat heating for 20 seconds intervals until melted. It is very important that you do not overcook this or it will taste dry. Also, stirring after the first minute is important to avoid burning the peanut butter (which gives it a really bad flavor)!  Add the peanuts and mix well.  Add the rice krispies and mix well.  Add the marshmallows and mix well. It is important to add the marshmallows last so the chocolate has had time to cool a little. Otherwise they will melt and disappear into the mix.  Spread into a lightly greased pan (13x9x2 inch pan for a double batch). I use butter flavored Pam cooking spray and then pat with a paper towel to avoid excess. If you have too much butter it will remain on the bottom of your candy and turn greasy.


Let cool and then cut into small squares. My mother-in-law seemed to always have these perfectly cut pieces which I have not been able to perfect yet. This is the best I have come up with so far. To cool: put them in the refrigerator for 15 minutes and then cut the pieces while they are still in the pan. Store in an air tight container at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment