Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Lasagna Rolls

My husband and I LOVE lasagna but my recipe always makes more than we need for a meal. It freezes well but I still wanted another option that would also help with portion control. One day I came across a picture of a "lasagna roll". So I played around with some ideas and came up with this. Now we love! It also works great for us since I am a vegetarian and my husband is not. For this example I made 4 (two with meat for my husband and two without meat for me).


What you need:

Lasagna noodles (cook according to package directions - enough so they can bend well but not too soft). The amount is up to you but we generally make 2 per person (less if we have a lot of side dishes).

Chunky spaghetti sauce - I make mine from scratch (freeze in small batches so I can just pull out what I need when I need it) but you can simply add items like cooked hamburger, chopped celery, onion, and chopped tomato to a chunky pre-made sauce.

Shredded mozzarella cheese (I prefer thick shredded cheese since it is less likely to burn and not the reduced fat cheese since it doesn't melt as well).

**You can add other items but try to make sure you have something that will help hold the rolls together (like mozzarella cheese will when melted).

How to make it:

Lay the cooked lasagna noodles out onto a dry surface. This can get a little messy so I usually work on wax paper/foil or a cookie sheet. Pat each with paper towel so they are not slippery.


Cover each noodle with some spaghetti sauce.


Top with shredded mozzarella cheese.


Roll each and place into a greased baking pan large enough to fit all of the rolls (in this example I used two pans to separate the rolls due to some having meat and some not).

These are the rolls with meat.

Top each roll with a little spaghetti sauce and shredded cheese.


Bake at 350 degrees for about 30-35 minutes (longer if you have refrigerated the rolls prior to baking).

We love these served with some kind of garlic bread/roll and Caesar salad!

These are the vegetarian rolls.

Leftovers freeze great in an air tight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment