Sunday, January 16, 2011

Shortbread Cookies

I am always tempted to buy a shortbread cookie when I go to Panera Bread before an upcoming holiday. They are always so cute and very tasty! It wasn't until I had one that I realized there is a definite difference between shortbread cookies and sugar cookies. Shortbread cookies have more of a crunchy/crumbly texture, taste a little sweeter, and are probably more fattening - but I LOVE them! I also found that they stay true to shape after cooking unlike sugar cookies that tend to expand or bubble a little.



Ingredients:

1 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:

Combine all ingredients; use hands to knead until ingredients are blended. Cover and chill in refrigerator for 2 hours.

Roll dough out on floured surface to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes and place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack.

Decorating:

I used a simple glaze for these heart shaped one. I don't have an exact recipe but I used some powdered sugar, added milk a little at a time (it doesn't take much at all) until the consistency looked good for dipping cookies into it. Then I added a little food coloring. To add some flavor you could use some orange juice or lemon juice. Once you have dipped the front of the cookies in the glaze, lay it on parchment paper to dry. Use a toothpick to pop any air bubbles that surface. After the glaze has hardened you can use colored glaze/frosting, food markers, or food coloring to write or draw on your cookies.


You could also dip the cookies in melted chocolate, add sprinkles, add nuts, sprinkle them with a little sugar prior to baking, or just leave them as plain as that is yummy too!

No comments:

Post a Comment