Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Homemade Fruit Fly Trap

We always have fruit in our house.  And... we seem to always have fruit flies!  This summer/fall we have had a larger amount of fruit flies than in the past and the traps that I purchased from my local store just weren't helping!  So, I decided to test a homemade trap that I had heard was working for others.  Of course, it worked perfectly - or I wouldn't be sharing this blog post!!!

What you need:
A portion of a banana
A bowl (preferably one that you want to toss)
Plastic wrap
A rubber band
Something small to make holes in the plastic wrap

Instructions:
  • Place the banana in the bowl.
  • Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap.
  • Secure the rubber band over the plastic wrap so it creates a seal around the bowl (so the bugs can't get out).  



  • Poke small holes in the top of the plastic wrap.  Large enough for the bugs to get in but not so large that they can find their way out.



  • Leave the "trap" by the fruit.


Just a couple of minutes and there's already a fly trapped.

After just one day!
I know - not the prettiest thing!  This gets really gross after a couple of days so I have opted to just toss the bowl and all!  At first I thought maybe I was creating a breading spot for these little buggers.  Seriously - how could I have had this many in my house?!?!  But, after 1 week with 2 traps, I haven't seen any bugs in a while and it's been a few weeks since I had a trap in use!  This will be my forever solution for fruit flies!

No comments:

Post a Comment