We always have fruit in our house. And... we seem to always have fruit flies! This summer/fall we have had a larger amount of fruit flies than in the past and the traps that I purchased from my local store just weren't helping! So, I decided to test a homemade trap that I had heard was working for others. Of course, it worked perfectly - or I wouldn't be sharing this blog post!!!
What you need:
A portion of a banana
A bowl (preferably one that you want to toss)
A rubber band
Something small to make holes in the plastic wrap
- Place the banana in the bowl.
- Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap.
- Secure the rubber band over the plastic wrap so it creates a seal around the bowl (so the bugs can't get out).
- Poke small holes in the top of the plastic wrap. Large enough for the bugs to get in but not so large that they can find their way out.
- Leave the "trap" by the fruit.
|Just a couple of minutes and there's already a fly trapped.|
|After just one day!|
I know - not the prettiest thing! This gets really gross after a couple of days so I have opted to just toss the bowl and all! At first I thought maybe I was creating a breading spot for these little buggers. Seriously - how could I have had this many in my house?!?! But, after 1 week with 2 traps, I haven't seen any bugs in a while and it's been a few weeks since I had a trap in use! This will be my forever solution for fruit flies!