Friday, October 25, 2013

Avoiding Theft Accusations: Tips With Dressing Rooms

It seems like a million years ago but I once worked in sales at a small clothing store.  It was a popular place for the small town that I lived in.  We carried name brand and trendy clothing so it was a natural draw for teens and young adults.  Which, also meant that we had to keep a close eye on what was going into the dressing rooms.  Shoplifting was a common thing we experienced!

This experience in my life has impacted how I shop today.  At least when it comes to trying on clothing.  I don't think that, at this point in my life, I would ever be suspected of shoplifting but who knows??   I don't want to take any chances!  So, here are some tips that I recommend you all do BEFORE you close the door to a dressing room:

  1. Check for clothing that was left behind and get rid of it!!  Usually there is a hanging rack or something where you can put clothing that you do not want to buy (so a staff member can put them back on the sales floor.)
  2. Look for hangers, tags, ....  anything that came from clothing that someone would remove before shoplifting.  Then get rid of it!!!  Either place it in the container for staff (as mentioned in #1) or physically hand it to a staff member.  DO NOT enter the dressing room and close the door if there are more hangers and /or tags than what your articles came with!  This was always a sure sign to us that someone stole something!  



Don't forget to look under furniture!  This little seat had a great hiding spot under it!

I'm sure that you may have a good argument if you are ever questioned about extra hangers and tags in your dressing room.  Especially when it comes to large clothing stores that do not check dressing rooms often.  However, I never want to get into a situation where I have to defend myself in this way!

Also, once I tried on a pair of jeans and I was scratched by something in the pocket.  I discovered a sensor (like the kind used to set off alarms if they aren't removed at time of purchase).  I went to the staff member right away to give them my discovery.  Someone got away with something but I surely wasn't going to take any blame for it!  Plus, I had a pretty bad scratch on my leg - I didn't want that to happen to the next person that tried those pants on!


No comments:

Post a Comment