Saturday, April 23, 2011

Double-Strawberry Scone

I never thought I would enjoy something like a scone but a few years ago I fell in love with Starbucks blueberry scone!! I have been on a mission for a while now to duplicate it. During my search I came across this one and I had to try it out. I really like it but I'll give you some tips on things you might want to adjust.



Ingredients:

2-1/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup chopped fresh strawberries
1/2 cup freeze-dried strawberries (optional)
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
1/2 cup half-and-half
Extra half-and-half
Extra sugar

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl stir together flour, the 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbles. Gently toss in fresh and freeze dried strawberries and basil. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.

In a medium bowl stir together eggs and half-and-half. Add egg mixture to flour mixture all at once. Using a large spoon, gently stir just until moistened.


Turn dough out onto a generously floured surface. Knead dough by folding and gently pressing it 5 to 7 times, turning dough a quarter turn after each fold. Transfer to a lightly floured parchment-lined (or use a Silpat) baking sheet. Pat or lightly roll dough into a 3/4-inch-thick circle. Cut circle into wedges and pull apart.


Brush wedges with additional half-and-half and sprinkle with sugar. Bake about 16 minutes or until golden. Serve warm. Refrigerate or freeze any leftover scones. This recipe makes approximately 12 scones.

My tips:

I did not have freeze-dried strawberries which provide a lot of flavor and sweetness. So I added a little extra fresh strawberries. I should have also added a little extra sugar too. Mine turned out great but I am looking forward to trying it again with the freeze dried strawberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment