Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Kids in the Kitchen: Character Bread


My kids had a great time making this - and eating it :)  You can do any character your creative mind will let you imagine.  The original recipe I found was for a turtle.  I decided to start with a teddy bear since I thought that would be easy.  I found instructions for a bunny that can be turned into a cute veggie tray (cut out the tummy for dip) that I can't wait to make for a future gathering!

Ingredients:

Bread dough (I used a frozen dough)
1 egg
Decorations (in this case I used raisins for eyes)

Directions:

Let the dough rise, punch it down and form balls for the body parts.  Assemble the dough balls on a greased baking sheet.  Push two raisins in the head for eyes.  Cover the dough with plastic and let it rise again for 30 minutes.  Heat the oven to 375 degrees.  Meanwhile, make an egg wash by whisking an egg with 1 tablespoon of water.  Brush the dough lightly with the wash and bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. 


Tips: 

My raisins were not pushed in very good and they puffed up a lot when cooked.  I'm not sure yet what to do to solve that but I thought I would explain why my teddy bears eyes looks so crazy.  The kids got a real good laugh out of our crazy eyed bear :)


The turtle version that I originally found suggested using a knife to cut a crisscross pattern on the "shell" and maybe adding a little green food coloring to the egg wash to create more of a reptilian look. 

Consider how much dough you need.  The bunny that I hope to make next requires 2 loafs of bread. 

No comments:

Post a Comment