Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Rolled Sugar Cookies

I have tried a few different rolled sugar cookie recipes but this one is by far my favorite!

Ingredients:


1 1/2 cups butter (room temperature)
2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt.

Cover and chill dough for at least 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick. I like to start with 1/3 of the dough and then add more with each new batch I roll out. That way you can work with a smaller surface and the dough at the end is not flaky from being over exposed to the flour.

Cut into shapes with cookie cutters.

Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake 6-8 minutes. Cool completely.


Makes approximately 24 cookies.

Frosting: I prefer royal icing (as seen in these pictures- holds better to the cookie) but butter cream frosting is also good. I'll blog on those recipes at a later time.

No comments:

Post a Comment