Saturday, August 22, 2015

Memphis, Tennessee: Beale Street

During spring break 2015, my family and I took a road trip to Orange Beach, Alabama.  As we do with any road trip, we researched other things to see along the way.  Memphis, Tennessee was definitely the place to visit!  At first it was to see Graceland.  We are not big fans of Elvis but how can you not go to Graceland when you are so close.  Then a friend told me about the National Civil Rights Museum.  I wasn't sure if my kiddos were ready for that level of civil rights knowledge but, after a lot of research, we decided to stop there too.  Finally, I saw some information on Beale Street. I really didn't know much about it but the Memphis Hard Rock Cafe is located there.  I'm sure you know by now that my family bases a lot of our stops on collecting pins from Hard Rock Cafe!

Beale Street didn't seem very big (just a block or two of the really cool stuff) but it was so much more than we expected.  I think it had something to do with getting there as  night was starting to settle in.  The music, the lights, what people, the unique shops, ... It was a lot of fun!  



The main section of the street was blocked off from cars.

A band playing.

Tons of great food and a great spot to people watch!

I have no idea what the point of this is but it was unique and interesting!

Lots of cool shops: voodoo and music stores.




There were a lot of carriages to pull people around.
They were all lit up with colored strings of lights which looked really cool as it got darker.

Beale Streets version of Hollywood BLVD.




I didn't get a great picture of it but the "M" shaped bridge is really cool - especially when lit up at night!

While in Memphis, we also visited the National Civil Rights Museum and Graceland.


No comments:

Post a Comment