Sunday, May 26, 2013

Personalized Plates/Mugs: The Sharpie Method

When we are gifting something to someone who already has everything they need/want we try to get creative.  Especially since my kiddos are at an age where they want to give something that they have created.  So, we finally checked out the sharpie method for decorating plates/mugs.

What is the Sharpie method?  You simply use Sharpie markers to draw on a clean glass/porcelain dish.  Some people recommend baking the dish (after decorating) at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  But, I have heard complaints about the drawings not staying on very good.  I have baked mine at 425 degrees for 30 minutes (recommended to me) and the drawings have stayed on well so far.  

My son's pictures (before baking)

My daughters pictures (after baking).  Some of the colors changed during the baking process.  Blue turned to brown and green turned to more of an emerald green.
We picked up the plates at a dollar store.  They also carry mugs.  So, it is an inexpensive gift from the heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment