Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Royal Icing - A New Recipe

I have shared a royal icing recipe with you in the past that I have used for a few years now.  I had this recipe set aside to try.  Mostly because I was looking for a new flavor (even though I have received many compliments on my original recipe) but I was also looking for something smoother to decorate with.  I have tried it a couple of times and I love it!


Ingredients:


4 tablespoons meringue powder
1/2 c water
1 lb. powdered sugar
1 teaspoon light corn syrup
1-2 drops clear extract (optional)

Directions:

Combine the meringue powder and water.  With the paddle attachment of an electric mixer, beat until combined and foamy.

Sift in the powdered sugar and beat on low to combine.

Add the corn syrup and extract.

Increase speed to med-high and beat for 5-6 minutes, just until the icing is glossy and stiff peaks form.  You should be able to remove the beater from the mixer, hold up and jiggle the icing without the peak falling.  Do not over beat!

Keep covered until ready to use.

This "stiff" icing is great for outlining, piping details and building gingerbread houses.

Thinning icing for flooding:

Add water to your icing a teaspoon at a time, stirring with a rubber spatula, until it is the consistency of thick syrup or glue.






No comments:

Post a Comment