Saturday, November 19, 2011

Rainbow Cupcakes

My daughter recently celebrated her 6th birthday and she was torn between wanting a party at Chuck E. Cheese or having a unicorn/rainbow themed party.  So we held it at Chuck E. Cheese but incorporated some unicorns and rainbows where we could.  The cupcakes were a portion of that.  I discovered this unique trick that I couldn't wait to try.


I started with a basic white cake mix (box version - prepared as directed).  I separated it into 6 bowls with equal portions.  Then I added some food coloring to get the colors of the rainbow.

For those of you that are picky about details -
I know that there are 7 colors in the rainbow
but I decided to stick with the 6 most noticeable for this small project.

Next I placed about 1/2 Tablespoon of purple batter into each cup.  Then I topped that with blue,


then green, yellow, orange, and red.  You will want to change up what cupcakes get batter first versus at the end.  Otherwise you may end up with large cupcakes in the first pan and small cupcakes at the end (when you start to realize that you only have so much batter left to fill the remaining cups).


Bake the cupcakes according to package directions.


 After they have cooled you can frost them.  I used a vanilla butter cream frosting.  I attempted to try a coloring technique I had learned but they looked a little more like tie-dye then rainbows ;-)

Of course we had to give the boys cars instead of My Little Pony unicorns.


The guests were very impressed but most importantly - my little girl LOVED them!

No comments:

Post a Comment