Saturday, November 19, 2011

Eggplant Parmesan


I love this meal!  I still can't believe that it took so many years for me to finally try eggplant Parmesan.  It's been a year now and I just can't get enough of it!  This recipe usually makes enough for two meals in my house so I bake it in two separate pans.  The 2nd pan is frozen and always tastes great when cooked later.

Ingredients:

1 eggplant, peeled and thinly sliced
1 egg, beaten
2 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
3 cups spaghetti sauce, divided*
8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon dried basil**



Directions:


Arrange the eggplant slices on baking sheets and sprinkle all over with kosher salt.  Set aside for 1 hour to let bitter juices weep from eggplant.  Rinse under cold water and blot dry.
**Update:  I don't always do this step and I haven't noticed a difference.


Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Dip eggplant slices in egg, then in bread crumbs (covering both sides). Place in a single layer on baking sheet.  


Bake for 5 minutes on each side.



In a 9x13" baking dish ( or smaller if making two meals like I do), spread enough spaghetti sauce to cover the bottom.  



Place a layer of eggplant slices in the sauce.  


Sprinkle top with cheeses.



Repeat with remaining ingredients, ending with cheeses.  Sprinkle basil on top.  Bake for 35 minutes.



*I love this with spaghetti pasta!  If you like lots of sauce you may want to increase the amount of spaghetti sauce used with this recipe.

**I prefer fresh basil when I have it.  If you choose to use fresh basil I would recommend mixing it in with the sauce instead of sprinkling it on top.

Update:  I now cover the bottom of the pan with 1 can of diced tomatoes (do not drain juice).
It provides more sauce for the pasta.


Freezes GREAT!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment