Monday, September 13, 2010

Apple Bread

This has always been one of my most requested items. Over the next couple of months I'll be blogging about a lot of things that people request that I make - it's that time of the year! :) I serve this pre-cut on a platter with butter for a dish to pass (usually with pumpkin bread). I also wrap loaves in decorative plastic wrap (maybe add a ribbon with a candy cane or something) to give as gifts. Today I am making some for my kid's teachers and of course myself!



What you need:

Batter:

1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons butter milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups diced apples (use an apple that is good for baking - do not add extra or your bread will crumble)

Topping:

1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup butter
1 tablespoon cinnamon
(I usually make 1 1/2 - 2 times as much for extra flavor)

What you need to do:

Batter: In a bowl, blend together butter and sugar. Add baking soda, eggs, baking powder, vanilla, milk, salt and apples. Stir together. Add flour and mix well. Pour evenly into 2 greased 8" bread pans.


Topping: In another bowl, blend together sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon. Sprinkle in bread pans over batter. My butter is usually at room temperature when I do this so my clumps end up big. I use a fork to swirl or spread the topping onto the top of the batter.


Bake at 325 degrees for 60 minutes (use toothpick to ensure bread is cooked through, dough should not stick to toothpick).  Let cool 5 minutes before removing from pan.


Freezes great for a month!  I've wrapped mine tight in plastic wrap then put in a Ziploc freezer bag and it's still great after 3 months in the freezer!  I even slice a loaf up and individually wrap them for the freezer.  That way I can have a slice when I want it without having to avoid the temptation of eating the whole loaf ;-)


1 comment:

  1. MMMMM...I love this bread! Still can't make it as good as you can tho :) Love ya, Carmen

    ReplyDelete